The NumberSense Mathematics Programme is designed to support the development of mathematics as a sense-making, problem-solving activity in which children are expected to develop a body of knowledge that they can apply in unfamiliar situations with understanding and reasoning. The NumberSense Mathematics Programme provides structured daily practice of mathematical concepts. These concepts are developed gradually over time and in an interrelated way, this explains why there are no chapter or sections, no worked examples, and why students are expected to solve problems using age, grade and number range appropriate strategies.
The programme is most successful when used by skilled teachers in a classroom context where differentiated teaching is valued and where children are respected as sense-making, problem-solving individuals capable of and interested in seeing pattern and structure in the activities that they do. The programme works best when teachers and parents ask questions that encourage children to reflect on the patterns and structure of mathematics that is revealed through the activities that they have completed in the workbooks. This can be done by asking:
- How did you get you get that answer?
- How is this problem similar, or different to other problems you have done?
- Do you notice any patterns?
- How did you get to your answer?
The workbooks of the NumberSense Mathematics Programme represent a mathematical journey from the start to the end of primary school. Presented as a journey, the programme provides for differentiated teaching that is responsive to the developmental level of each child.
The NumberSense Comprehensive Workbooks:
- Provide a rigorous approach to Number, pattern, Space and Shape (Geometry), Measurement, and Data Handling.
- Include a set of Grade 7 workbooks designed to support a smooth transition from Grade 6 to Grade 8.
- Deliberately structure the use and incorporation of the full range of NumberSense teaching and learning resources.
- Have 64 pages per workbook with a set of four workbooks for each school year – a workbook per term.
- Offer full curriculum covergae in a set of Workbooks.
- Make use of colour throughout the materials.
The MathsSense Mathematics Programme offers an independent study solution for Grade 8 and 9 mathematics.
The MathsSense Mathematics Programme for Grades 8 and up is a natural extension of the NumberSense Mathematics Programme, that consists of video lessons with exercises for each lesson. The video lessons are supplied on a USB drive with the exercises and solutions in the form of a book.
- A comprehensive mathematics solution for independent study.
- A school programme for mathematics in which students watch the video lessons and teachers/tutors lead reflective discussions on the video lessons and provide support to students with the exercises.
- Learning support to students who need additional resources to make progress in their study of mathematics.
GeoGenius provides fun-filled teaching and learning aids for the study of three dimensional (3D) geometry, developing geometric thinking and understanding through play. The Construction Kit uses bright, precision manufactured, sturdy cardboard shapes and elastic bands to assemble an enormously wide range of objects in a fun way, quickly and easily. The Visualisation Kit develops confidence in seeing objects from different positions (points of view) using 3D arrangements of blocks where each of the four players only has information about one view of the arrangement.
GeoGenius began in 2004 with teacher and educationalist Aarnout Brombacher. Aarnout has accumulated extensive expertise on how geometry stimulates a child’s development. Aarnout developed the GeoGenius Kits because he believes that, for children, geometry begins with play. Spatial understanding helps:
- The development of mathematics.
- An appreciation of aesthetics.
- An understanding of science.
- Reasoning in a deductive manner.