Brombacher & Associates is a consultancy in the field of Mathematics Education, founded in 2003 by Aarnout Brombacher, a mathematics teacher and leader in the South African mathematics education community. Brombacher & Associates work is focused in three main areas: teacher training and development, materials development and research.
Our clients include trusts and foundations; public and private schools; a range of provincial education departments as well as the national education department; listed companies; international organisations and private individuals.
Aarnout Brombacher is the founder and head of Brombacher & Associates, and was the former head of the Mathematics Department at Westerford High School and a Past-President of AMESA. In 1996 he was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship and read for a Masters degree in Mathematics Education at the University of Georgia in the USA.
Di Donaldson, Amanda le Roux, Kholeka Manga, Lorna Siers
Provincial Departments of Education
National Department of Basic Education
- Numerous teacher training workshops from GET to FET
- Frequent Subject Advisor training
- Foundation and Intermediate Phase Subject Advisor training
- Provincial Departments of Education
- More than 30 four-week in-service training courses for FND, INT and SEN Phase teachers at the CTLI.
- Extended workshop sessions (see discussion later) in South Cape Karoo and EMDC South
- Regular afternoon/day-long workshops for EMDCs
- Training of Mathematical Literacy Subject Advisors
- Training of NCV College lecturers - Mathematical Literacy
BITOU 10 FOUNDATION
3 years of quarterly in-class support to mathematics teachers at 2 schools
Supporting their 3 year MTN funded project in Mpumalanga, N.West, Limpopo, Free State, E.Cape and KZN
Currently conducting a 3 year classroom based teacher development programme.
LEARNING CHANNEL/SUNDAY TIMES
Mathematics and Mathematical Literacy exemplar papers - 2011, 2010, 2008
- Mathematical Literacy TV, DVD & workbook series - Gr 10, 11 & 12
- Mathematics DVD & workbook series - Gr 8 & 9
Topic series on:
- Sequences & Series
- Linear Programming
NATIONAL ACCESS CONSORTIUM
Mathematical Literacy resource files for FET College Lecturers for NQF based qualifications in Hairdressing, Business Administration, Early Childhood Development & Hospitality.
OLD MUTUAL/NATIONAL DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
Booklet of exemplar papers in Mathematics and Mathematical Literacy
THE TEACHER NEWSPAPER
Monthly column on teaching mathematics (ongoing since 2010)
- Numeracy Handbook for Foundation Phase Numeracy teachers
- Mathematical Literacy Teacher Guide
- Basic skills for Mathematical Literacy materials
- Foundation Phase Numeracy
- Intermediate Phase Numeracy
- Senior Phase Numeracy
- Mathematical Literacy Teaching materials
- Senior Phase Mathematics
- Mathematical Literacy
RTI (Research Triangle International) a US based organisation involved in research and intervention - Ongoing since 2010. Aarnout Brombacher has consulted to RTI on projects in the DRC, Malawi, Rwanda, Nigeria and Mali.THE RANGE OF WORK HAS INCLUDED:
- Versioning and adaptation of the EGMA (Early Grade Mathematics Assessment) assessment tool in the DRC and Malawi
- Development of a teacher content knowledge test in the DRC
- Preparing reports on studies conducted
- Developing of data capture interfaces for both EGMA and EGRA (Early Grade Reading Assessment) for Malawi, Rwanda and Nigerian studies.
Evaluation of the effectiveness of school mathematics programmes & recommendations for improvement.
Western Cape Education Department
- Impact assessment of continuous assessment training - 2003
- Impact assessment on the effectiveness of the WCED developed OBE DVD Series - 2005
JICA (Japanese International Cooperation Agency) for the Mpumalanga Dept. of Education - 2010PRE (MARCH) AND POST (OCTOBER) INTERVENTION STUDIES IN 2010
- 12 000 children per study
- Test design and development
- Fieldworker training
- Data capture